SUNSET GARDENS

Life was picture perfect for John and Brittany Murphy, living in a quaint neighborhood, until the house next door was sold and a new neighbor moved in down the street. Brittany instantly takes a liking to him. John slowly grows suspicious of his wife’s faithfulness when he continuously walks in on Shane (the neighbor) and his wife in compromising situations. John wants his picture perfect life back, a time where he loved and trusted his wife, and will stop at nothing to regain this.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

My Presentation

Friday I debuted my film. I was so nervous. Not that it would play or anything would go wrong, but what people would think. I thought that there would be three different responses, 1) that they would not think it was funny at all 2) that it would offend people and not be good at all 3) they would think I was great. And that scared the hell out of me.

My film was going to be played after a documentary about Leukemia. The audience was crying and sad, then here comes Josh’s “romantic comedy.” The film started playing and instantly I got a lot of laughs. There was some random chuckles here and there, but the jokes that were written in went over well.

After the viewing we had a Q & A section. I got asked a lot of good questions, including how much of this was planned out and how much was just shot and good luck. I put a great deal of time into preproduction. I was on a very tight filming schedule so everything had to be thought out. Another one was were did I come up for the concept of the film. There is no flattering answer for this, so I danced around the fact that we were poking fun at a friends views.

I also got a lot of feedback, some of the people that were there were impressed with my ability to build sequences. I was told that my film was better the Jimm Needle’s, which is huge because he is so critical about film, and the stuff that he does really looks good.

I was a bit disappointed in the set up of the art show where we presented our projects at. We never really knew what to expect because people never communicated with us what the details were. The time was changed on us many times. It went from 6:30 to 8:30 then our film debut was to be at 8:30 so we invited people at 8:30 to come and watch the film. Then it was moved from 6:00 to 8:00 and we were still planning on showing our films at 8:30. In fact, the show went from 6:00 till 7:15 then our films directly following. Then because we told people to be there at 8:30 we had another viewing. I was furious with that because the people I invited showed up to see the film and there was nobody around. And when I got back and checked my phone a ton of people were calling to find out what the situation was. I think that the whole setup was poorly communicated to us, and we suffered because of it.

Another thing that bothered me was our advertisement posters had spelling errors in them. These posters were missing words and had words left out of them. They looked like a third grade kid wrote them. This reflects so poorly on us. My name is branded with these posters and there is spelling errors all over them. This is part of my senior research, and is suppose to demonstrate that I deserve, and have earned the degree from Westminster. Instead it makes me look like an uneducated buffoon.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but the night went well. I am proud of my film, and the next step is to send it to film festivals.

No comments: